Hi my name is Shane O’Donnell & in this series of Blog Posts I will be highlighting common issues or conditions around homes that attract termites or increase the risk of attracting termites. Many of these conditions can be easily corrected and often for very little cost.
Check the weep holes around the perimeter of your home. There should be 75mm from the finished ground level to the base of all Weep Holes.
Weep holes are installed above the termite protection system. If termites have access to the weep holes, its and easy passage way to the timber structures in your home.
Common issues are:
Mulch / garden beds covering Weep Holes:
- DIY | Clear away all mulch and or garden beds that cover the Weep Hole opening. This is essential.
Concrete patio or foot paths abutting external walls
- If you are having concrete patio/extension/footpaths added to your home
- Plan for the finished levels to be 75mm below weep hole.
- If this is not possible then employ the services of a professional termite technician to provide you with a termite protection solution | Well before any concrete is booked to be poured.
- For areas where the concrete has already been poured you will need to employ the services of a qualified termite technician to work out a solution (If required)
Timber deck abutting external wall/s
- The Pole plate (The timber bearer usually bolted to your external wall) should have a Termite Fabric or Mesh product between external wall and timber ‘Pole Plate’ | the reason for this is
If you have any questions give our office a call on 07 5472 0141
My wife and I have been working with the Cooroy Termite & Pest Control team for 10 years now. We have been providing termite solutions for our Noosa & Hinterland Districts communities.
Many of the termite jobs we go to could have been prevented had the home owner had a better understanding of termite behavior and what increases the risk of attracting them to a home. Termite damage to homes across Australia cost home owners hundreds of millions in repair work every year.
Shane O’Donnell – Termite Technician
Cooroy Termite & Pest Control